Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Fireproof

If you haven't seen it yet, GO!!! I am still processing my thoughts from the movie. I honestly didn't expect the reaction I had. And until this morning, I wasn't really sure why. There was a song in the movie that really spoke to me called "While I'm Waiting" by John Waller. I was listening to it again this morning for my quiet time and it hit me. I think God wanted me to see Fireproof for a reason other than to work on my marriage. Yes, he wants that, too. But I think He was telling me that I need to fireproof my relationship with Him.

One of the main lines in the movie is that fireproof doesn't mean the flames won't get to you, but that when they do, you will be able to withstand them. While Stephen and I have been under tremendous stress these last several months, we still have been confident that our marriage would be able to withstand the stress. We both come from divorced families, and we have always said that we would be willing to do whatever it takes to not let that happen to us. Even during those times where we don't like each other very much, we just know that we will make it.

But honestly, my relationship with God has suffered over these recent months. I haven't taken time to spend with Him. I have basically neglected Him. I have prayed, but I don't think I believed He was really listening or that He really cared. I haven't worked on our relationship at all. Yesterday, I was telling a friend that I was definitely in a valley with God. I wanted to feel Him, but I didn't. How do you think my marriage would work if I went for weeks, months and didn't talk to Stephen? Didn't take time to listen to Him? Probably not very well. But that is what I have done with God. So is it any wonder that I am in this valley? Anyway, this is why I think God wanted me to see this movie and why my reaction was so much stronger and deeper than I thought it would be. Here are the lyrics to the song. The video is on Youtube.

I'm waiting
I'm waiting on You, Lord
And I am hopeful
I'm waiting on You, Lord
Though it is painful
But patiently, I will wait

I will move ahead, bold and confident
Takeing every step in obedience
While I'm waiting
I will serve You
While I'm waiting
I will worship
While I'm waiting
I will not faint
I'll be running the race
Even while I wait

I'm waiting
I'm waiting on You, Lord
And I am peaceful
I'm waiting on You, Lord
Though it's not easy
But faithfully, I will wait
Yes, I will wait
I will serve You while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting
I will serve You while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting
I will serve you while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting on You, Lord

2 comments:

Tamara said...

I am praying for God to help me see Him...EVERYDAY. That I will be able to fully trust Him to be with me. I would covet your prayer for this also...

debbieg said...

Hello Tamara,

I was looking at the "Top Franklin Blogs" at the top of my Feedjit list and yours was listed.

I clicked on your post about "Fireproof" because my husband and I were over the top about this movie! I too loved that song and need to download it to my blog, if possible...

Thank you for your transparency, we all need to do that more often.

Debbie G.
www.cgcbiblestudy.blogspot.com