Monday, March 05, 2007

Wow...

For those of you who were at church yesterday, all I can still say is Wow, or should I say Ow! I haven't been that convicted of anything in a long time. Basically, for those of you who weren't there, in David's sermon, he talked about feeding ourselves with trash and expecting different things to come out of us. How can we expect to produce peace, contentment, truth, righteousness when we feed our minds with trash, whether that be through TV, media, radio, movies, etc. It really hit me over the head. I talk all the time about wanting my life to be different, but I do nothing differently, so my results stay the same. If I want my life to be different and full of holy things, I have to put those holy things in first. So convicting.

That having been said, last night Stephen and I talked about getting rid of television. For those of you who know us well, you know how serious that is for us. We watch lots of TV. It has become what we do after the kids go to bed at 7:30, kind of our "date." But we just were convicted that we spend very little time talking, sharing, studying, etc. Our kids are never satisfied because they are watching TV in the mornings before school and as soon as they get home, so they see LOTS of commercials that tell them they aren't happy yet because they need that one more thing. Even Luke loves TV. This morning, I tried to not turn the TV on, and he threw a major fit, screaming hysterically because I wouldn't turn the TV on when we got home from taking Jordan and Claire to school. This is usually when he watches TV while I get housework done, take a shower, etc. But the things that was so bad is that he isn't even two yet and he is already addicted to TV like the rest of us.

Anyway, please pray for us as we decided what is best for our family. Right now we are thinking about getting rid of the TV for 3 months and see how that goes. I have a feeling we will not want it back. But it is a little easier to start small, since this has become such a huge part of our lives.

Did anyone else who was there feel convicted about anything? Just curious.

No comments: