Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Are we safe?

A shooting took place in our neighborhood yesterday. It was on the street that runs paralell to ours. We were outside and heard the whole thing. It happened at 3:30 in the afternoon. The getaway car was parked on the street that connects our street to the street it happened on. I heard the shots, I heard the sirens, and I heard the getaway car screech away. I also found out last week that the park on the same street where the shooting happened that we go to alot is gang territory. At what point do you decide the risk of staying somewhere it too dangerous? Are we safe? We know most of our neighbors right around us, but do we worry anyway? We really can't afford to move, but should we find a way to move anyway to keep our family safe? Or is our family safe where we are and we just need to trust God to keep us safe? These are the things that I am thinking today. This, and the thought that if I had been walking to the park, as we always do, I would have walked right past the getaway car and probably would have seen the shooters. Scary.


Will's mom said...


Praise God you guys didn't go on your walk and get in the middle of that! While reading your post I noticed something, all "problems" really have the same equation:

Do I _____________ OR stay the way I am and trust in God.

My theory is of course to pray about something and then make the best decision, weighing all the variables and then go forth with whatever you decide and along the way pray that you are going the path that God wants you to. (OK this is about the deepest thought I have had in a while). But most days I try to live by this. This part is free, Yes, I think you guys should move. From reading your blog I understand money is tight, but I really think it could be done. Somehow. I will pray about this. I realize I am being blunt about moving, but I do worry about you guys. Love you!

Will's mom said...

Martha McDerrmot at church is with Exit Realty now. When we used her she was with Bob Parks. I am not sure if you know her, but she has the most humble, kind and sweet spirit. She was so patient with Keith and I. We told her our budget and she really helped us stick with it and to get the best house for our money. You could her and start just by looking at a few houses.

jtcosby said...

We can just finish our upstairs and move you guys in. It would work...seriously. You think I am kidding...I am all for it!!!

Mary Alice said...

I will be praying for you. i know this is frightening. I saw this story in the news and I am so sorry that you were impacted by it!

You know, I have no real words of wisdom. Not too long ago, a good friend of mine witnessed a burglary in our neighborhood (which is n ot, by any means, the finest address in town but it is a nice, safe, family neighborhood.) It was only a couple days until she put her house up for sale. I probably would have done the same. But, even though we only live a couple streets away from where the crime was witnessed, we're still here and have had no problems.

SO, I guess I say trust your gut. That's the best you can do. If your gut says, GO, then make plans to go and trust God to work out the finances, doing everything in your power to stay on a budget. If your gut says STAY, then stay and trust God to keep you safe all the while doing everything you can to keep yourself safe.

Like I said, I'll be praying for you guys. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help!

Love you!!