Friday, November 02, 2007

What am I doing here?

OK. I know a lot of people from my church are going to read this, so let me start out by saying that I love my church. I love the people there, and I especially love the dear friends I have made there. That having been said...

I am really struggling with my church right now. Let me explain just one example. I feel like we are focusing on the wrong things. I feel like we are focusing too much on being "perfect" and too little on reaching out to the lost. We are focusing too much on how our church building looks, making sure it is beautiful, but not enough on bringing people to our building who couldn't care less what it looks like. To me, Halloween is a perfect opportunity to reach out to our community. Why not throw a huge party and open your doors and offer the community a safe, positive place to spend Halloween? I am just not sure I understand. We couldn't even have Trunk-or-Treat in the parking lot. I just think it is ridiculous. My friend Brandon had a great post on this and there were some great comments made. (His blog is http://www.brandonscottthomas.blogspot.com/.) One of the commenters said that he didn't want to be that guy in the neighborhood with the porch light off who doesn't hand out candy to the neighbors. He was saying that he didn't understand how we are supposed to be the light of Jesus to the world if we seclude ourselves from it.

I get that we are supposed to be what Jesus wants. We are supposed to strive to be like Him in everything we do. But I don't think Jesus thought parking lots were sacred. And I don't think He would have shut himself in his house and turned the porch light off on Halloween night. I think He would have had the little dressed up children on his knees telling them how great their costumes looked. I think he would have reached out with a smile on his face and love would have radiated from him. Why can't we do this? I just don't understand. I know that I am at this church for a reason; I am just not sure what that reason is, yet.

2 comments:

Tamara said...

I understand what you are saying and can honestly say I don't understand the whole Trunk or Treat thing. I do want to say I am torn on Halloween. I am not sure where I stand on it right now but at the same time, I did do the WHOLE kit and kaboodle. Does that make sense? I know I am ready to get my hands dirty so to speak. I hope a project with Church will enable to me to do this but if it doesn't, I will look elsewhere, NOT FOR CHURCH, to get my hands dirty and to expose my children to reality. This is not real. This is not Jesus. I have also been informed we need to move slowly at churches. While I think that is understandable, I also think it STINKS with a big fat S! To think a few people can hinder a larger group doing something amazing is really frustrating.

These are just a few of my many thoughts. I hope it's ok that I posted them on your blog.

Mary Alice said...

Elizabeth, you are the real deal! I couldn't agree with you more. And I am proud of you for so candidly sharing your beliefs.

I was a participant in a church sponsored trunk-or-treat this year. And I know that the kids involved were aware of two things: 1.) These people have free candy for me! and 2.) These people really LOVE me. And I believe that ANY opportunity we can use to lavish love upon each other is an opportunity well-used.