Friday, November 09, 2007

New insight

I usually use the New International Version of the Bible. My son, Jordan, has the New Living Translation. It was in the car so I read some of my favorite passages while I was waiting in the pick-up line at school. I have been looking for a verse to claim to help me with the changes I am trying to make in my life, breaking old habits, etc. I had read this verse in my Bible, but it spoke to me today. It is Rom. 8:11-12. "The Spirit of God, who raised Jesus from the dead, lives in you. And just as God raised Christ Jesus from the dead, he will give life to your mortal bodies by this same Spirit living within you. Therefore, dear brothers and sisters, you have no obligation to do what your sinful nature urges you to do." The part in italics is what jumped out at me. Just wanted to share.

2 comments:

Tamara said...

That is AWESOME! Thank you for sharing! It reminds me of the verse (of course I cannot think of what it is) but it's Paul speaking of how he cannot stand doing the things he does and wishes he could do the things he wanted to do...is that even making any sense?

Love you!

Elizabeth said...

Hi Elizabeth,

I happened upon your blog through Kristy Glass's blog and just thought I'd leave a comment b/c I'd never noticed those specific lines before in that verse either. It definitely brings up the idea of accountability for our own actions. I like that it points out that we have no *obligation* to act sinfully...which, despite being difficult to do at times, is actually quite encouraging to realize. Nice post =)